Spark Your Creativity #18 (Cut-Up Writing Exercise)

Discussion in 'Creativity Outlet' started by PaintedDiary, Nov 13, 2007.

1. PaintedDiary

PaintedDiary
    Artistic
    JPiC Mentor Premium VIP
    Jun 23, 2006
    Female
    Channeling Rainbow
    Tags:
  2. PaintedDiary

PaintedDiary
    Artistic
    JPiC Mentor Premium VIP
    Jun 23, 2006
    Female
    Channeling Rainbow
    A Crystal Ball of Creativity is inside us waiting to be

unleashed!​

What new poem from this challenge is in YOUR future?​

Cut-up creative writing essentially involves physically cutting up and rearranging an existing piece of writing into new creative forms. It can be a piece of your own writing, or someone else's.

For this exercise we will use a Chapter 4 excerpt from Joseph Sheridan le Fanu’s novella Carmilla (1872) about the predatory love of a vampire (the title character) for a young woman (the narrator), and turn your cut up writing exercise into a new poem. The excerpt is as follows:

Sometimes after an hour of apathy, my strange and beautiful companion would take my hand and hold it with a fond pressure, renewed again and again; blushing softly, gazing in my face with languid and burning eyes, and breathing so fast that her dress rose and fell with the tumultuous respiration. It was like the ardour of a lover; it embarrassed me; it was hateful and yet overpowering; and with gloating eyes she drew me to her, and her hot lips travelled along my cheek in kisses; and she would whisper, almost in sobs, 'You are mine, you shall be mine, and you and I are one for ever'.

*** PLEASE NOTE – the words “ ardour” and “ travelled” are as they appeared in the 1872 novella. If you choose to use these words in your “ new” poem, you can change the spelling then. ***

WHAT YOU ARE TO CREATE:

You are to create a 10 to 20-line poem of rhyme or free verse from the cut up words.

STIPULATIONS:

1} One-way to do this and tis fun is to print this excerpt out and cut out each word separately and mix up the cut up pieces up all the words. Pick a few words at random from your cut-up pile and begin to piece them together to form new phrases or lines. Don't worry about the original piece of writing; simply go with the ideas you get from choosing the words in this random way.

2} Continue to take one word at a time from the cut-up pile and add to your new piece of writing. See if you can use ALL the cut-up words and place them together in a way that forms a new piece of creative writing for a real challenge. However, it is NOT MADITORY to use ALL the words. If there are a few words you don't feel fit in, just leave them out.

3} You also can write the excerpt on paper and cross out words as you go. I prefer to do the cut up technique to really get into it and have a little fun with it.

FOUR IMPORTANT RULES TO FOLLOW:

1} YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE ALL THE WORDS!

2} IF THERE ARE WORDS YOU DO NOT FEEL FIT IN, JUST LEAVE THEM OUT.

3} YOU DO HAVE TO USE ONLY THE WORDS FROM THE NOVELLA EXCERPT!

4} YOU CANNOT ADD ANY ADDITIONAL WORDS OF YOUR OWN AT ALL!!!!!!!

REFLECTION:

WHEN YOU HAVE COMPLETED YOUR “NEW” POEM, read back your finished piece. How does it relate to the original piece (if at all)? How did your own thoughts and ideas influence how the new piece came together?

I hope you got some benefit from the exercise. Feel free to experiment and try different ways of approaching it. Being creative is all about finding new connections and new possibilities and seeing and describing things in ways, you haven't done before... and don't forget to have fun and enjoy your writing!!

3. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Poetica Magnifique Staff Member
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    VERY nice KIM - there should be some good stuff from this exercise - I likes it and oh - The Crystal Ball :wow: tehehehe

Jacquii.

4. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    A Shallow Pond Drawn In One Take

[​IMG]

This was a lot of fun MS KIM - I actually printed the words and cut them out.
    Then simply taped the words on paper and scanned - The result you see above.
    thanx for the challenge - it's a nice one - I think before it's over I shall write another poem.
    What I like about this challenge is that it allows for a basic infinity of ideas from simply drawing on the words of the writer - Actually inspired me to magnetism as seen HERE. :D

Jacquii.

5. mangodroplet

mangodroplet
    Blue Mango Puppy :]
    Feb 16, 2007
    WOW! Who knew such amazing stuff could come out of that...
    or else maybe it's just MsJ's brilliance O_O
    lol.

That was amazing...now who wants to make a poem after you did that?
    lol. when I get to a printer, I'll try this challenge....

6. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    LOL - Thanx MS MANGO - it was actually a very fun challenge - I didn't have anything to do really so I spent about an hour printing, cutting up the words and arranging them into the poem - I think there are many many many possibilities from just that selection of words! Again - Nice challenge MS KIM and thankies MANGO for commenting ;)

Jacquii.

7. PaintedDiary

PaintedDiary
    Artistic
    JPiC Mentor Premium VIP
    Jun 23, 2006
    Female
    Channeling Rainbow
    Ms Jacquii!! :wow::wow::wow: That is simply beautiful and amazing!!!! Thank you so much Ms Jacquii for doing this challenge. Hopefully others will try as well. You make it seem so effortless in your masterpiece! I love love love love it!!!!! Thank you also for doing the printing, cutting, rearranging, taping, and scanning! That was to be part of the fun of the challenge as well as the outcome! You said it perfectly! There are many many many possibilities from the selection of words, and you have demonstrated that beautifully!:thankyou:

Kim <3

8. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Thanx KIM - It was really a lot of fun - like putting a puzzle together only BETTER!
    Now where the H3LL is everyone else's answer to your brilliant exercise?!?!? AND Yours MS GIRL :p

Jacquii.

9. Beth Castillo

Beth Castillo
    Oct 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I've been working on this one, but I haven't been happy with the results so far ... much to dense. I hate dense poetry ... at least when I write it :D

10. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    LOL = understood.

Jacquii.

11. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Shall You Be Mine?

A fond blushing, eyes overpowering.
    She travelled. Her lips renewed
    the sometimes beautiful whisper of apathy
    in my gazing and languid respiration.

She is hateful and strange.

I am in the sobs of her tumultuous, breathing
    face. Again burning fast.
    Hot cheeks. My hand is almost
    like the ardour of a lover: embarrassed.

Shall you be mine?

You. The one I pressure so.
    For ever my rose-dressed companion.

---------------------------------
    ---------------------------------
    Now I'm just showing out :blush2:

Jacquii.

12. erikestabrook

erikestabrook
    JPiC Premium VIP Member Premium VIP
    Aug 6, 2006
    hey msj I find the cool things about cut-up exercise is it makes you word choice more benevolent, although most don't know what their saying when they just put words together,

you put this togther nice the titles alluring and the word choice excellent,
    this was just fun to read, msJ's laid down the law again

13. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    :blush: Thanx E - After reading it again I can totally see how you'd see a lesbian type inspiration - and I suppose in a way it's very similar to that - I'm glad you like it ;)

Jacquii.

14. Beth Castillo

Beth Castillo
    Oct 18, 2007
    Colorado
    That's brilliant ... at least, I like it ... and I'm not even lesbian :D

15. Beth Castillo

Beth Castillo
    Oct 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Not nearly as good, but here goes ...

breathing
    my lover kisses me softly
    and beautiful
    gazing in my eyes,
    embarrassed, blushing
    and my ardour overpowering and strange
    tumultuous
    with hot respiration
    burning in my sobs,
    the pressure rose, renewed
    I take lips in mine
    like a whisper.

16. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Ooooo! Very nice - I really like this short poem - It's written rather beautifully, especially the two last lines - Interesting how your piece is quite different from my 1st and 2nd... Lovely inspired work BETH = Thanx for posting!

Question: Who's next? :D

Jacquii.

Draft saved Draft deleted