Spark Your Creativity #10 (Pushkin Sonnet Challenge)

Discussion in 'Creativity Outlet' started by MsJacquiiC, Mar 22, 2007.

1. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Poetica Magnifique Staff Member
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Tags:
  2. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    The PUSHKIN SONNET - sometimes described as a "mettlesome creature" - is a 14-line Sonnet with rhyme scheme seen beneath. It can be read/written either one of 2 ways:
    1. Italian form: two quatrains plus two tercets
    2. English form: three quatrains plus a closing couplet

--------------------------

CHALLENGE DESCRIPTION:

Beneath is an eloquent & beautiful duo of paintings by Matte (of FanArtReview.com) --- His paintings personify what I think a Pushkin Sonnet should be about: Something a little risque & intimate, with mutual respect and classic adoration as undertones.

The challenge is to compose a Pushkin Sonnet with a similar motif OR one that personifies what YOU THE POET thinks the Pushkin Sonnet should be. Use Matte's artwork as the basis of your poem. You must also choose ONE of the following 4 word-combinations to use as your rhyming quatrain endwords in the 2nd stanza

1. Inspired
    2. Desired
    3. Proclaimed
    4. Renamed

1. Beautiful
    2. Dutiful
    3. Recompensed
    4. Circumstance

Now view the artwork AND be inspired by writing the worlds most desired Pushkin Sonnet! ALSO - Happy posting! ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Artworks Respectively Entitled: Focus AND Statue
    By FanArtReview.com Artist --- Matte

[FIELDSET="Biography"]Matte is a Swedish guy from Stockholm, 43 yrs. He has painted for some years now, but has no eduation in it. His preferred media: acrylics.[/FIELDSET]

--------
    --------
    CLICK HERE for more in depth info on the Pushkin Sonnet form...

ALSO - as an FYI :twitcy: ----------->
    Recompense = (verb form: recompensed, recompensing)
    1. To repay or reward someone for service, work done, etc.
      Thesaurus: remunerate, reward, repay, requite.
    2. To compensate someone for loss, injury or hardship suffered.
      Thesaurus: compensate, redress, satisfy, indemnify, reimburse.

3. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Since noone else is attempting this one - I thought how novel: I've be 1st...
    So - Kinda cheesy and off the top of my last brain cell - But I share anyway....
    Hope you enjoy this personal Pushkin Sonnet of mine. ;)
    ---------------------------------
    ---------------------------------

Little Boy Blue In The Garden Of Love

... and the muscled Adonis with brick and stone
    looked towards God's moon and beauty he sees,
    whilst moonlit Goddess doth demurely (in tone)
    strum feathered citar with Kama Sutra'd teen.

So exquisite his love. Such a dream of beautiful,
    who'd dare see the pain? His eyes hold dutiful
    secrets of yesterday: Years gone, recompensed.
    Rise-fall of her breath to him just circumstance.

Music: such sweet symphony of love found anew,
    and the reverie within lovers-two like anticipation.
    The grip of such amore's the hope of emancipation.

Gentle: The breeze when zephir blows. Boy Blue
    grasping onto life, for fate has been granted.
    The sewing of seed in the garden's been planted.

4. PaintedDiary

PaintedDiary
    Artistic
    JPiC Mentor Premium VIP
    Jun 23, 2006
    Female
    Channeling Rainbow
    Dear Ms Jacquii:giftrose:,

First and foremost, I must say that this is the epitome of exquisite abstract poetry. This poetic form is quite challenging, yet you seem to make the words float. That title alone speaks volumes, and captured the essence and tone of the piece, as well as my attention.

I first thought of the nursery rhyme…”Little Boy Blue” to prepare my mind for your poetic journey and equate similarities to the piece, as well as the latter of the title. The latter of the title “In The Garden Of Love” appealed to me, in terms of this little boy, tired and fast asleep, and would cry upon being awoken, yet experiences a variety of emotion dealing with love, self, and relations.

I love the first line and the use of the word “muscled”, as it represents the painting, as well as the words brick and stone, represents strength. The words “demurely (in tone)” to me, indicates an underlying emotion felt, (perhaps very shy), and not willingly showcased. The strum feathered citar with Kama Sutra indicates (in my opinion only) a person sharing an experience with a teen exploring their sensual and sexual fibers.

This love seems to be almost taboo from the words scribed in the next two stanzas, yet so commanding that it seems that you want to tell the world, as described by the use of the word, “Music”. After all is said and done, what blows now is a cool and “gentle” zephyr (a word that I love and use). That shy little Boy Blue’s world changed as he grasps for life and grasps for love.

When the zephyr passes, the little soul knows that fate has been granted; only love can blossom from untaimed soil. Loved this immensely! Loved the style, the words, the crafts womanship, the mastery of writing, the execution, all was so perfect, as if this should be placed in a glass case, with a golden lock. I am in awe of the level of your gift, and am thankful to have you as a mentor. I will not achieve this level, however, I love what has been scribed before me. Just wow, Ms Jacquii.:bravo:

{{{{~~**KIM**~~}}}}here's a smooch for ya! :smooch:

5. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    OMFG KIM - you comment made me almost weep --- Seriously Thank you So much!
    I'm glad you enjoyed this - It was a quick write actually - jotted down in about 15 minutes with a little editing. It can be read either line for line AS WELL AS read structured with the puntuation. There's a deeper meaning when you read as if written like regular sentence - just have to be particularly mindful of the punctuation - so it's an abstract - but also a verbal format I tried with this piece.

Of course - It's the story of my life LOL ---- But I shall keep my secrets!

Thanx for your comment KIM - now I look forward to your Pushkin Sonnet ;)

Jacquii.

6. lasher

lasher
    Cheeky
    Dec 31, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Yes Ms J, that is a unique vision flowing from your pen, I liked this a lot. Great job. You're right PD, this is a challenging form - but I did give it a go.

The Dream

Visions of his secret love
    Play themselves into his dreams,
    Flesh-tone granite rises above
    To meet his ladylove and seems
    To blend Love and lust; an exotic distiller,
    And smother her delicate ghostly pillar
    With love and affection that’s truly inspired
    By her as the one love he greatly desired
    To writhe and throe with complete abandon
    And cherish and taste of the forbidden fruit,
    Which chasing through dreams in hot pursuit
    Has left him to be her last man standin’.
    In dreams they meet for their adulterous tryst;
    In dreams they have something they cannot resist.

7. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    :wow: LASHER - very nice Pushkin Sonnet - I like this one very much- it captures the artwork exquisitely!

I love the last 2 lines:

Sounds good to me! LOL - I wonder how on earth to actually make dreams reality.
    Interesting write though - Lovely response to the challenge ;)
    Thanx for sharing!

I will respectfully (and very quietly) point out though - you only used 1 of the rhyming couples in your 2nd quatrain :p

8. lasher

lasher
    Cheeky
    Dec 31, 2006
    Massachusetts
    DOH!! I musta read it wrong, I thought it meant choose one. Rats!! Alright ignore this one - back to the drawing board for this..... Thanx for pointing that out and thank you for your comments. I gotta get busy, busy, busy........
    Well, after a quick arcade stop.........................................................................................

9. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Ah! Does that mean we get to see a NEW poem???? = :yay:
    I really enjoyed the 1st one - I'll be looking forward to your next post ;)
    AND the Arcade is kinda AWESOME ain't it? I spent like 6 hours in the arcade the other day LOL

Jacquii.

10. PaintedDiary

PaintedDiary
    Artistic
    JPiC Mentor Premium VIP
    Jun 23, 2006
    Female
    Channeling Rainbow
    Dear lasher :giftrose:,

:wow: Yes, this is quite challenging yet you seem to capture the ultimate essence of the art blended exquisitely with an intricate display of poetic filigree. I cannot imagine, after Ms Jacquii's and your submission to even come close. Such mastery level is acquired, and am not sure, I am equipped to do so. I knew you were one to watch, and am in awe of your work Mr. lasher. Just divine! Just wow! :bravo: poet!!! I will check back for the second one as well. ;)2

{{{~~**PD**~~}}}

11. lasher

lasher
    Cheeky
    Dec 31, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Dear Ms J,

I will be tinkering on one since I did zone out on a pair 'o words in the other one - and YES - the arcade is fantastic. Usually a "quick jaunt" turns into hours and hours and hours....... lol

Dear PD,

Your kudos are appreciated and mean a great deal to me, (if I knew where to find those dang smileys - a blushing one would go right here), thank you very much. But you should not sell yourself short - you are more than equipped. You have artistic qualities coursing through your veins, which shows in everything you do. I love reading your work, it's very honest and sensual and the visuals you depict emblazen themselves into my memory so I can recall them at my leisure. And I do look forward to reading your submission and everybody elses for that matter - there are a lot of great poets here, hey! I think I just found the smileys!!!! :boxing: maybe, but I still didn't see a blushing one...........

12. PaintedDiary

PaintedDiary
    Artistic
    JPiC Mentor Premium VIP
    Jun 23, 2006
    Female
    Channeling Rainbow
    Dear lasher...:blush: thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement, means so much to me, and made me misty.

Dear Ms Jacquii....ahemmm...try 15 minutes of typing it, on the third day of finally finishing it...LOLOLOL (You are so good, LOLOLOL)

Here it goes Ms Jacquii, lasher, and everyone...and twas quite the challenge, and my first Sonnet...I think, if it is correct...lol

A Painted Woman's Memoir :giftrose:

He abused me and left me with two gems
    at sixteen; my grand country tis of thee
    I used my body to cloth and feed them
    tumultuous touch; silent reverie

Acts of pretentious characters proclaimed
    same midnight tricks, the Elite come renamed
    scripted screams; I smile; appear dutiful
    paid with a moral less than beautiful

My skin, no longer mine, breaths confession
    frozen tears have stained my painted statue
    In my gem's eyes, for them I shall debut

A sin, I allowed to take possession
    a pillar of salt soul, as if Lot's wife
    please judge me not, lest you have lived my life

p.s. A Painted Woman is also known as a prostitute.

p.s. II This poem in no way, shape, or form represents me "Painted Diary". LOL!!

13. PaintedDiary

PaintedDiary
    Artistic
    JPiC Mentor Premium VIP
    Jun 23, 2006
    Female
    Channeling Rainbow
    Dear Ms Jacquii :giftrose:,

You are most welcome. When I get to your level. let me know, LOLOL!! Yes, I posted and edited my Sonnet, so I hope it is correct. LOL!! Twas quite the challenge, and thank you for the challenge as well. Now I can say that I at least wrote one Sonnet in my poetic life. LOL!!

{{{~~**KIM**~~}}};)2

14. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    And what a FABULOUS Pushkin Sonnet it is - The rhyme schematic is executed flawlessly - But this is a DEEP poem really - The rhythmic flow only goes to enhance the story line - This poem... The content, the storyline is DEEPNESS - like I said in the Chatbox - from the word "gems" down to the definition of "painted woman" --- A fabulous write!

I would whisper the same thing I whispered to LASHER though LOL AND :p --- But I just realized it's my fault :blush2: --- I edited the instructions for this challenge, as I meant for the 2nd stanza to have all 4 end-rhymes of either 1 of the combination choices LOL - A bit confusing if I dare say so myself...

But enough of that = Excellent challenge answer KIM - I enjoyed your writing immensely!
    I may actually try another, as I'm really liking the form Pushkin Sonnet... But I don't know if I dare follow yours LOL - that was some SCANDALOUS writing Girl ---- In a good way:

please judge me not, lest you have lived my life

WHOA! I here ya!

Jacquii.
    ALSO --- LOL @ LASHER --- I know what you mean - I started uploading games the other day and spent about 3 hours playing Flip Words LOL -- It's quite addicting game. I'm glad you enjoy it though!

Jacquii.

15. PaintedDiary

PaintedDiary
    Artistic
    JPiC Mentor Premium VIP
    Jun 23, 2006
    Female
    Channeling Rainbow
    Edited Ms Jacquii to comply with instructions......that was hard to...LOLOL!!!

Kim:ss-eek:

16. lasher

lasher
    Cheeky
    Dec 31, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Hey now, PD. This was a fantabulous sonnet - I knew you would shine~!! I really loved this. I did figure out what a painted woman was (and throughout I wondered if this was an autobiography!!!lololol), thanx for pointing that out, lol... Seriously, this was, no, is some great poetry. Your visuals (as I've stated previously), left a deep impression upon me. I loved the theme - and also the pillar of salt line - that immediately placed the lady of the picture - seemingly testing the waters with her toe - into my head (where it is still resting to this point). Kudos to you!! Great writing throughout.......

17. Mysty

Mysty
    Artistic
    JPiC Premium VIP Member Premium VIP
    Nov 1, 2006
    Female
    Canadian Prairies
    Dear Kim,

I agree with MsJacquii ..... a Fabulous write.... I have never tried one of these Sonnets.... You did rise to the challenge and so wonderfully done. Thank You for sharing a very fabulous write.

~Mysty~

18. Mysty

Mysty
    Artistic
    JPiC Premium VIP Member Premium VIP
    Nov 1, 2006
    Female
    Canadian Prairies
    Midlife Change

Ok thought I would give this a try....... Kim made it look so easy. She really did do a wonderful job. My try is measly compared and I do not know about Iambic pentameter but here it is. Oh yes ... it is written on the Focus picture.

Midlife Change

I took a walk, one night I went
    I left my family far behind
    They took offense, words were spent
    as they suggested I had lost my mind

Some say the act was inspired
    but truthfully only peace of mind was desired
    Where once I was his proclaimed
    my inner self has been renamed

My body reconstructured
    no longer simply beautiful
    and definately not dutiful

My looks became fractured
    and I seek not to be recompensed
    I simply revel in the circumstance

© 2007 Sandra Elizabeth Johnson

19. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Hey MYSTY - Great Pushkin Sonnet! The title flows just lovely with the content! AND I love how you used BOTH sets of words! Very nice!

Jacquii.

20. PaintedDiary

PaintedDiary
    Artistic
    JPiC Mentor Premium VIP
    Jun 23, 2006
    Female
    Channeling Rainbow
    Dear Mysty :blush2:,

I am honored someone of your caliber to say that about my Pushy, lol. Let me tell ya, it was not easy, and I really struggled with this one. I kept thinking how in the hell could Ms Jacquii do this in 15 minutes!!! LOLOL Thank you so much for the kind words Mysty.

I really love this Mysty, and the story that it tells. I most definitely can relate. :wow: What a neat idea to use both sets of end words also! The lasts stanza was a great ending, and that last line just sizzles. Wonderful work Mysty!!

{{{~~**KIM**~~}}}:giftrose:

Draft saved Draft deleted