Sherman Alexie’s Top 10 Pieces of Advice for Writers

Discussion in 'Lit Articles Database' started by MsJacquiiC, Dec 8, 2012.

1. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Poetica Magnifique Staff Member
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    [bimg=fleft|160||inside]http://jpicforum.info/images/articlepics/nationalbookaward.jpg[/bimg]
    National Book Award winner Sherman Alexie’s birthday is Sunday, and his new title Blasphemy: New and Selected Stories was released this week. To celebrate the short-story writer, poet and novelist, here’s some advice Alexie shared with us in the magazine.

The Top 10 Pieces of Writing Advice I’ve Been Given (Or That I’ll Pretend Were Given to Me)
    by Sherman Alexie

[10] Don’t Google search yourself.

[9] When you’ve finished Google searching yourself, don’t do it again.

[8] Every word on your blog is a word not in your book.

[7] Don’t have any writing ceremonies. They’re just a way to stop you from writing.

[6] Turn your readings into events. Perform and write with equal passion.

[5] Read 1,000 pages for every one you try to write.

[4] In fiction, research is overrated. But that means readers will write you correcting all of your minor biographical, geographical and historical errors. If you like, make those corrections in the paperback, but don’t sweat it too much.

[3] Don’t lose the sense of awe you feel whenever you meet one of your favorite writers. However, don’t confuse any writer’s talent with his or her worth as a human being. Those two qualities are not necessarily related.

[2] Subscribe to as many literary journals as you can afford.

[1] When you read a piece of writing that you admire, send a note of thanks to the author. Be effusive with your praise. Writing is a lonely business. Do your best to make it a little less lonely.

[ Source: Writers Digest ]

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. butchiesmom

butchiesmom
    Depressed
    JPiC Premium VIP Member Premium VIP
    Umm..guilty.

Ceremony? Ceremony? What ceremony? Just putting pencil to paper, fingers to keys is a special event for me...

Ok, so all those pages I've printed out on horse behavior was a waste of time? Well, crap! I shoulda just asked the horse....

That would mean so many messages to those I've met here and some on other sites. There are also so many I'd love to write to but they already passed on to that great novel in the sky.

Thanks for posting this, Sis. As always informative (especially that googling thing) and right on the mark.
    Gail

Draft saved Draft deleted