Langston Hughes (Harlem Renassaince Writer 1902 - 1967)

Discussion in 'Poet & Poetess Biographies' started by MsJacquiiC, Apr 14, 2008.

1. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Poetica Magnifique Staff Member
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]
    Langston Hughes (1902-1967)

James Langston Hughes (1902-1967) is the poet laureate of African-American experience — a popular writer of the Harlem Renaissance who gave hopeful expression to the aspirations of the oppressed, even as he decried racism and injustice. Hughes, who claimed Paul Lawrence Dunbar, Carl Sandburg, and Walt Whitman as his primary influences, is particularly known for his insightful, colorful portrayals of black life in America from the twenties through the sixties.

Hughes was unashamedly black at a time when blackness was demode, and he didn’t go much beyond the themes of black is beautiful as he explored the black human condition in a variety of depths. In visual media, his sexuality was the subject of two plays by African American playwrights. In the 1989 film, Looking for Langston by British filmmaker Isaac Julien, Hughes is reclaimed as a black gay icon — a reclamation Julien saw as necessary because Hughes' sexuality has historically been ignored or downplayed.

In addition to poetry, Hughes published fiction, drama, autobiography, and translations, including the well-known “Simple” books: Simple Speaks His Mind, Simple Stakes a Claim, Simple Takes a Wife, and Simple's Uncle Sam. He edited the anthologies The Poetry of the Negro and The Book of Negro Folklore, wrote an acclaimed autobiography (The Big Sea) and co-wrote the play Mule Bone with Zora Neale Hurston. His work continues to serve as a model of wide empathy and social commitment.

Tags:
  2. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee

Tribute.

Dream de' poesy I have of you
    Stroking the sun and swallowing rivers
    Whole. Emancipated Hero!
    Yay! That we may know the truth
    of your simple words' strength.
    Shine on...

3. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Langston Hughes has been my favorite poet since before I even began writing; The one (with his stories of Semple and especially the Mother to Son piece) who inspired me to write my words poetically. It is with a special gratitude that I post such tribute to him. Strength in his words keeps shining.

Jacquii.

ps - Happy National Poetry Month!

4. Eric

Eric
    Apr 10, 2008
    soon to be in N.C.
    Jacquii,

I love Langston Hughes work he is one of many favorite poets of mine, thank you for the article, I have a big book of his poetry and he inspires some of my own. Do you know Pablo Neruda? He is a Chilean poet and is also very good. Thank you for sharing this piece

Eric

5. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Hey ERIC - you're very welcome - I'm actually gonna make a section especially for the biographies - I thought it would be nice to have some tributes for fellow Poets and Poetesses for National Poetry Month - Now I feel it's so enjoyable reading these posts that it should make for a nice section - Will eventually have 100s of biographies!

And yes - Pablo Neruda is on the list - There was actually an answer on Jeopardy a few weeks ago - Neruda was the answer... I missed it LOL - Couldn't think of his name to save my life - but yeah... There will DEFINITELY be a Neruda biography included - I'll make it the next biography I post actually ;)

Jacquii.

ps - Thanx for taking the time to comment :yes3:

6. PaintedDiary

PaintedDiary
    Artistic
    JPiC Mentor Premium VIP
    Jun 23, 2006
    Female
    Channeling Rainbow
    Dear Ms Jacquii,

Thank you for this awesome post! Mr. Hughes is definitely one of my favorites and I remember your post about reading his biography as well. Having a section dedicated to "profound poetry" will be awesome! What a reference section! Maybe we could ask members to PM you with an interest to "Adopt A Poet"( and contribute and will help with costs). Love this!

Perhaps Sanchez, Giovanni, Maya, or Phyllis Wheatley can be next...:)

Kim ;)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted