Do walls only exist between our minds?

Discussion in 'Creative Traditional' started by HeddgieBedgie, Feb 25, 2013.

1. HeddgieBedgie

HeddgieBedgie
    Oct 31, 2006
    In my office, a wall was built to separate workers at a higher level from workers at a lower level. Previously, the two classes of workers could freely interact. Now lower ranking workers must enter the higher ranking worker's section through a door, where they are greeted by a receptionist. Musing on the absurdity of this and other "walls," (including those that can and those that cannot be seen - I was in Berlin when that wall was demolished and in Russia when the Iron Curtain crumbled) prompted these observations about how accepting or ignoring the existence of a wall just strenthens it. Whether a wall physcally exists or is a mere illusion of ideology, its existence depends upon our collective reaction to it.

This Wall
    (c) A. Minter 2012

Walls are built by men, no doubt,
    To keep some in or others out.
    This wall's no different from the rest.
    Its not the worst; its not the best.
    Its how we react, when walls are found,
    That strenthens them or tears them down.

Tags:
  2. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Poetica Magnifique Staff Member
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Hello HeddgieBedgieHeddgieBedgie and welcome back. Nice to see you posting.

What a brilliant little piece of wisdom you've shared here. My reaction to "walls" of the "figurative" type is generally to be offended and tear them down whilst under the spell of fury. I think if more people would have such a reaction, there'd have been no need for the existence of Berlin's wall; no need for the figurative walls that have been erected to separate classes of people. Perhaps in these context, "wall" is only a synonym for "war"

I do suppose if you subscribe to creationism of the Christian variety, then walls have existed since the beginning of time -- Adam & Eve walled away from the secret of the tree of life, whilst the serpent slithered --- thus I wonder if our righteous fury/indignation at the concept of 'equally separated' should be aimed at the Creator...? Who knows.

But I found this short poem both provocative and inspired. Thanks for the share!

J.

3. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Poetica Magnifique Staff Member
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    BTW - Hope you don't mind - but I added part of the preface and the entire poem content in the JPiC Potent Quoteables.

4. JONATHAN

JONATHAN
    Digging it
    living not existing. Staff Member
    Feb 15, 2007
    Male
    Kolkata India
    this is righteous .. I'm in awe :wow:

5. Wind

Wind
    Confused
    WindXSaul