Canon

Discussion in 'Glossary Term of the Day' started by MsJacquiiC, Dec 14, 2011.

1. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Poetica Magnifique Staff Member
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    A canon is a list of authors or works considered to be central to the identity of a given literary tradition or culture. This secular use of the word is derived from its original meaning as a listing of all authorized books in the Bible. William Shakespeare, John Milton, and William Blake are frequently found on lists of canonical literature in English.

In practice, debates and attempts to define the canon in lists are essentially restricted to literature, including poetry, fiction and drama; biographical and autobiographical writings; philosophy; and history.

Tags:
  2. tamm0449

tamm0449
    Nov 8, 2006
    Hello,
    Thank you for explaining the meaning of Canon Poetry. I had never heard of it and like to learn everything I can concerning poetry. Thank you for enlightening me in this type of poetry.
    Sincerely,
    Tamm
    tamm0449

3. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Poetica Magnifique Staff Member
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    You're welcome, but to clarify, a canon isn't a type of poetry persey, but actually the body of work of a Poet.
    There's all types of nice stuff posted in this glossary term of the day section.

FYI ==> You'll find a huge compilation of poetic forms in the Types of Poetry section. ;)

J.

Draft saved Draft deleted