Aphorism

Discussion in 'Glossary Term of the Day' started by MsJacquiiC, Nov 26, 2011.

1. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Poetica Magnifique Staff Member
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    An aphorism <span class="f-bold">(literally "distinction" or "definition", from Greek ἀφορισμός (aphorismós), from ἀπό (apo) and ὁρίζειν (horizein), meaning "from/to bound")</span> is an original thought, spoken or written in a laconic and memorable form.

The term was first used in the Aphorisms of Hippocrates. The oft-cited first sentence of this work is:

The term was later applied to maxims of physical science, then statements of all kinds of philosophical, moral, or literary principles. In modern usage an aphorism is generally understood to be a concise statement containing a subjective truth or observation cleverly and pithily written.

Tags:
  2. butchiesmom

butchiesmom
    Depressed
    JPiC Premium VIP Member Premium VIP
    You're not gonna believe the number of times I use this word every day! Seriously, it's used in many books I've read but didn't bother to look it up. I kinda gathered that's what it meant but didn't take the time to pick up the dictionary.
    Now I'll have a better idea of what's being said rather than just skim over it. (please ignore if this doesn't make sense. I'm late for my afternoon nap and my brain gets cranky if it doesn't get to veg for a bit, lol.)

Thanks for posting it.

3. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Poetica Magnifique Staff Member
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Same here Gail - kinda here the word a lot actually, never thought to look it up. Just had a general idea of aphorism concept. Anyway - I guess it's true = learn something new everyday :yes:

J.

Draft saved Draft deleted