Anaphora

Discussion in 'Glossary Term of the Day' started by MsJacquiiC, Apr 7, 2011.

1. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC
    Provocative
    Poetica Magnifique Staff Member
    Jun 8, 2006
    Female
    Tennessee
    Anaphora is a rhetorical device that consists of repeating a sequence of words at the beginnings of successive phrases, clauses, or lines, thereby lending them emphasis.

Anaphora is an excellent poetic device, but can also be used in all other literary forms as a means of stressing your point. Dr. Martin Luther King's heartfelt "I Have A Dream" speech excerpted below shows a wonderful understanding and use of anaphora:

[fieldset=Excerpt from Dr. King's "I Have A Dream" speech]<span class="f-bold">I have a dream</span> that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. <span class="f-bold">I have a dream</span> that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state, sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. <span class="f-bold">I have a dream</span> that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. <span class="f-bold">I have a dream</span> today.[/fieldset]

Tags:
Draft saved Draft deleted